Saturday, December 4, 2021

Rant against the machine

Rant from Maura incoming!
Here in the United States we have some massive employment issues and they start at High School level.

When I was in high school we still had shop classes, wood, metal, machine, drafting. At the same time the school was pushing "take these classes to get into college" and "college won't be like here." So shop classes were already on the chopping block as two years later they were gone.

I mostly took shop classes.  I won't deep dive my personal life here but I went on to higher ed.  The intent was to become an Architectural Engineer...family happened.  I was qualified to become an apprentice machinist, cool they make good money...wrong!  This was the point when Computer Numeric Controlled Machining was really catching on, guess what you needed a certification from a trade school to run one!

Government safety net?  HAHAHAHAHA...NO.

If you are a white passing, assigned male at birth person with feminine mannerisms there is no safety net.
 
I found a job as a cooks assistant and utility (cleaning appliances) I attained the title Chef in that job bestowed upon me by another classically trained Chef. 
I moved to maintenance for a big pay increase & was soon Assistant Building Superintendent. Now both jobs sound great but you notice I didn't change employers?  I was working in a "long term care facility." Once you have worked health care there are few chances of escape.

So I was apprentice trained in HVAC/R by dad.  My Chef title was bestowed.  I have no papers from a school saying I can do either job.  A lot of Millennials are in this boat or in the I have a degree but no experience boat.

Hiring managers need held accountable!  This joint issue has only gotten worse.  Which do you want experience, or a degree?  You can't choose both!

We need something along the lines of a GED for skilled labor that circumvents the degree issue for those of us who can do the work but didn't wrack up $30k+ in student debt.  Hiring managers require the degree but then won't hire fresh graduates?  We also need to fix the gaping holes in the safety net so all people can get training and be able to care for themselves or raise a family.
-Maura

No comments:

Post a Comment

5-7-2024

  Its been a bit so a personal set of updates, a bit of venting, and answering some questions I get asked regularly. How am I doing? This qu...