Monday, October 17, 2022

Victim 18 post 28

She pulls the car into the garage, grabs a bucket and puts the shirt and jacket into it. She goes straight through the kitchen and down the hall to the laundry room where she puts the jacket and shirt in the washer. Taking off her shoes and socks she adds them to the wash, and follows with the jeans once she is free of them. She puts her bra and underwear in a laundry bag and adds them to the load knowing she shouldn’t but also wanting to get the blood out of them as soon as possible. With some irritation she realizes she has left the rag and towel in her car. Grabbing the bucket she heads back to the car.

As Wren passes back through the kitchen she thinks she sees something go past the window.

“Wren, this is not the time to start panicking, that window is two floors up and...”

There it is again. She darts for the door to the garage, her bare feet crossing noiselessly over the old wooden floor. She opens the door of the car and hits the trunk release. Quickly going to the trunk and grabbing out her pistol. Carefully she reenters the kitchen turning the light out as she enters. Slowly quietly she crawls over to the kitchen cabinets where she sees the shape again in the moonlight as it slips past the window.

“Alright now Wren let's not be getting jumpy we’ve been through too much for that.”

Wren crawls over to the deck door and is getting ready to open it when she realizes it could be an ambush. Instead she crawls over to the hallway and makes her way to the back bedroom. She crosses the room and looks out the window towards the deck, the light of a half moon bright in the clear sky above casting playful shadows across the yard and the deck and yet she can see no ladder nor any person. She creeps back into the kitchen and there is definitely something darting back and forth across the glass. She walks over to the door and takes several deep breaths, draws her pistol up to her bare chest then quickly opens the door.

Her reflexes and new experiences combine so that she now has a solid laser sighted bead on a helium balloon the string of which has caught on the pipe to the electric meter. There is a small card attached to the string so she reaches out and pulls the balloon in to her and looks at the card.

“Greetings from Mrs. Rodenchecks fourth grade class in Bozeman Montana. If the finder of this would please write us a short note of how, where and when you found this and mail the card back we would appreciate it. Thank-you, Rodger Smith

P.S. Please send it back. I get twenty extra points on my science grade if you do. Rodger”


Wren sits down on the picnic table laughing. She sits there laughing for quite some time until tears start to run down her face and she can taste them as they trickle into her mouth. She goes back inside and locks the door leaving the balloon to dance on the ceiling as she heads back out to get the rags.

The next morning Wren wakes up much later than usual. She goes through her usual routine of dressing and eating breakfast, then she fills out the card from the balloon and walks it out to the mail. From her mailbox she starts her morning run. Wondering what is inside the box that Norman sent her and what is up his sleeve for the evening. As much as she doesn’t want him hurt or to be hurt she is elated at the thought of having him back in her life. When she makes it back home she pulls the junk mail from the box and heads back into the house. She goes to the washer and pulls out her clothes from last night, each piece still showing the dark splotches from the blood. Tossing them back in she restarts the washer. After a quick lunch she lies out on the deck and daydreams about the upcoming evening. After a while she picks up her watch from the deck floor and with a start realizes it is getting late. With her curiosity running at a fever pitch she cleans up and shaves every inch of her body smooth. When she reenters her bedroom she opens the box from Norman, and the first thing she finds is a note from him.

“My dearest Love, I am glad you have decided to join me this evening. Enclosed you will find everything you will need for the evening. Now I know you and you have probably already cleaned up before opening the box. So you will find a series of small boxes each with a number. Your job is to open one at a time and use or put on the item within then proceed to the next numbered box. I have thought this through several times so I am sure all is in the right order. At five I will arrive and I am so overjoyed that you have chosen to come along.

Love, Norman.”


Box one contains a matching set of lotion, soap and perfume, Wren applies the lotion to her body then sprays herself down with the perfume.

Box two contains two of the sheerest pair of pantyhose she has ever seen. Each completely seamless with a waistband that stops right at her hips. A note attached to one package simply says “spare pair for your purse.”

Box three, contains a silver sequin evening gown. It was nearly floor length with a slit running up the side to high on her thigh, bare backed to just above the top of her hose, a deep plunging halter neck line in the front finishes it off.

She opens the fourth box and finds a pair of five inch patent silver stiletto heels and a small matching purse.

The final box holds a diamond choker, bracelet, watch, matching earrings, and an anklet.

Wren finds herself staring into the mirror at her own reflection once she is dressed. The outfit is daring even for Wren but she adores it especially since it came from Norman. She transfers her important items to her new purse and checks the time. Five minutes to five and he said he’d be there at five.

At five o’clock sharp as Wren watches out the living room window Norman’s bright yellow Chevy SST pulls up in the middle of the driveway. He steps out and walks to the front door. Wren is impressed as she has rarely seen him in fancy dress but this is absolutely the best dressed she has ever seen him. A black tuxedo perfectly fitted, waist cinched, jacket tapered. Pants tapered and fitted to his shape—it was definitely not a rental. He reaches the door and knocks as Wren opens it.

“Norman! You look great!”

“And you are definitely the most beautiful woman in the world.”

Wren can feel herself blush as the blood races into her cheeks and she looks down at the floor in embarrassment.

“Shall we go then?”

“Where are we going?”

“A play and dinner.”

She gets into his truck as he holds the door for her like the perfect gentleman. He goes around, gets in, turns the truck around and heads down the drive.

“So how has it been going lately?”

“Fine I’ve been keeping busy taking care of some personal matters and my job keeps my evenings pretty full.”

“I know, you have been rather busy lately haven’t you?”

“What are you getting at?”

“You are the one the police have dubbed the “Predator” aren’t you?”

“If I am wouldn’t it be stupid to confront me with it or is this all a ruse to turn me in?”

“It’s no ruse and I wouldn’t turn you in; even if I had proof. No, your secret is safe with me.”

“My secret, you talk like you know for sure.”

“Hey, don’t think I’m a fool. I know you, and I know that everyone of the people that have died graduated from the same high school, at the same time and all had the same tattoo. And whoever shot them was a perfect shot. It’s also funny how once the predator showed up the rape gang disappeared.”

“Then if you know so much about me I’d like to know what’s up with tonight?”

“I told you, a play and dinner.”

“But why?”

“I wanted to see you again. You are my best friend after all. I felt a little diversion from your double life might be in order.”

“All right then, but I still can’t help but think you're hiding something?”

“If I am, we all have our little secrets.”

“So why the tux?”

“It seemed the appropriate choice to be opposite your dress.”

They ride on making small talk on the way to the play and to dinner afterwards. Norman takes her to the Cafe de France where the maitre d’ takes his name and seats them promptly. Norman orders them appetizers and wine and the waiter leaves them alone for a while.

“You know Wren, I have missed you something awful these past two weeks.”

“Norman believe me or not I’ve missed you too but you didn’t need to go to all this to get my attention back. You could have just dropped in, after all you seem to know my work schedule as well as I do.”

“I felt it was more than fitting for what I have to do.”

“Which is?”

“Wren, will you marry me?”

He hands her a small box which she opens and which opens her jaw. In it is a half carat diamond surrounded by perfectly matched emeralds and set in platinum.

“Norman, I don’t know what to say. I never expected this. I mean we’ve been on extravagant dates before but I never expected.”

“I have done a lot of soul searching these last two weeks and I know it is you that is missing from my life. You are the one I want to spend the rest of my days with. I don’t care about your past or your present, only our future. So I ask you again. Will you, Wren Swan Robbins, marry me?”

“Yes! I can’t see myself with anyone else but you. You are my best and truest friend. But you need to know that I’m not done with my work yet.”

“I know, and we can talk about that later. For now we have our whole life ahead of us.”

They continue with their dinner with Wren now wearing his engagement ring. They make some small talk and start planning their future together. Where they would like to live and how many children they each wish to have. They leave the restaurant arm in arm and Norman drives them over to his apartment. Where they can be alone and talk more freely.

For all things Maura MauraAlwyen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

5-7-2024

  Its been a bit so a personal set of updates, a bit of venting, and answering some questions I get asked regularly. How am I doing? This qu...