Saturday, November 19, 2022

Victim 18 Post 39

“Hey, lover boy, you fancy a dip in the pool before dinner.”

“I didn’t bring a suit but I’d be happy to watch you from the side.”

“Not a problem here you go!”

She tosses Norman a small wrapped package which he quickly unwraps then holds the contents in the air.

“What is it?”

“It’s a Speedo silly you wear them to go swimming.”

“It’s nothing I’ve ever worn before.”

“No, that's because I got it for you while I was out the other day. I think they're a lot sexier than the norm and besides they're quite popular in Europe.”

“I’ll try it but only because it’s for you.”

They both change and start toward the pool. Down the hall they meet up with Wren’s mom as she is heading to the same place. Once at the pool they turn out to have the whole thing to themselves much to Norman’s pleasure. Norman slips out of his house coat and quickly slips into the water.

“Does he always wear a Speedo?”

“No it’s his first time actually.”

Wren kicks off her heels and drops her swimsuit cover, tossing it over Norman's house coat.

“Wren! A thong! Alright!”

Wren stares at her mother, her nerves having been on edge ever since they met up with her in the hall not knowing what to expect her mom to say about the choice of her brick red thong and heels.

“You’re fine with it?”

“I know what you're thinking and I’m so sorry for the past. But yes I’m fine with it. I only wish I still had the body to wear one.”

They play around in the pool for a good hour before people start coming down and with minimal discussion they all feel it is time to grab some dinner and a good night's sleep.

The next day finds them up early and on the long lonely road across South Dakota on interstate ninety. Their trip goes fast and smooth even with the stop at Wall Drug to settle both Norman and Margret’s curiosity as to what all the signs were about. They pull into the ranch’s driveway around six that night with the sun heading toward the horizon. The evening chill of June just starting to settle onto the landscape and the first to greet them as they step out of their cars.

“Wren I am so happy to see you back so soon and this must be Norman.”

“Yes Grandma this is my husband Norman and this is my mom Margaret.”

“After all these years I finally get to meet my son’s wife and my daughter’s mother.”

Margaret drops to her knees bowing her head so that her hair sweeps the ground before Rose’s feet.

“I owe you the deepest apology I can offer for the way I treated your son and the disgrace I brought upon him. I am truly sorry right down to the core of my being and hope you can forgive me for what I have done.”

“Forgiveness is given by those to whom the insult was dealt. For our part we have forgiven what we can. The rest is between you and Wankan Tanka.”

“Wankan Tanka?”

“That is the name of the great spirit, of God, mom.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t know, and believe me I pray for his forgiveness and for that of John’s everyday.”

“Then get up and I’ll show you to your lodges. Wren I hope you don’t mind if I put you in a lodge instead of the spare room. With the wedding I had to save it for someone even more important.”

“Who else is coming?”

“Well, that room is being saved for the priest but beyond him all kinds of people are coming but I won’t say who because it might ruin the surprise. Anyway at the request of Painted Buffalo we set up your lodges at her end of the ranch.”

Wren smiles, then tears start down her cheeks as she breaks out into a whole hearted laugh.

“Dear, what's so funny?”

“Oh not much that you won't figure out soon enough. Let’s get mounted up then.”

Norman and Margaret share a quizzical look between them as Wren heads to the back of the Mustang and starts removing bags of clothes. Rose picks up a few things and leads the three of them around the side of the house to find her Grandpa sitting on the tailgate of his old truck.

“First there is no need to apologize to me. I heard you earlier and agree with Rose. Second, I didn't know how much riding experience these two have so I thought the truck might be a better idea.”

“Thanks grandpa, this is Norman, Norman this is my grandpa Abraham.”

Norman gives Wren a puzzled look which she instantly understands.

“You were expecting some exotic name like Running Bear. The truth is though that all the men in grandpa’s family are named after men from the Bible. My dad’s name was John I have an uncle Noah and an uncle Luke you get the idea.”

“Come on, we need to get moving so you can be at your lodges before dark. Norman, why don’t you ride up front with me so I can get to know you a little better.”

Norman climbs into the cab of the truck with her grandpa while Margaret, Rose and Wren all climb into the back. Wren sits up against the center of the cab while her grandma sits by the right wheel well and her mom on the left.

“You know Wren I always thought you favored the O’Malley’s but seeing you with your grandma you are almost a carbon copy except for the hair color.”

“Funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.”

The three women having found something in common sit and chat on the bumpy forty minute drive across the ranch. It’s sundown and nearly seven when they pull to a stop by the barn. There alongside Painted Buffalo’s lodge are two more teepees, a light gray smoke rising out of the smoke holes of each. Painted Buffalo crosses the bridge to greet them as they all climb out of the truck.

“Wren I really like this guy, for a white man he was raised right.”

“You weren’t playing twenty questions all this time were you grandpa?”

“Actually it was thirty-eight.”

“Now Norman you're exaggerating a bit aren’t you?”
“Let it go grandpa, he's a lawyer, it’s in his nature to keep track of these things.”

“Welcome, Wren and family.”

“Hello, Painted Buffalo Woman, this is my husband Norman, and my mother Margaret.”

“I am pleased to have finally met both of you. Wren have you explained my land to your family?”

“No I have not, I felt that would be better left to you seeing as you have done the inviting.”

“Good, well I have a few rules when people are on my land. First only Lakota may be spoken past the creek. Now I know this will be a problem for those of you that do not speak Lakota so, during your stay I will allow Wren to translate what you need to know. Second I allow no modern devices, electronics or gizmos. Third, I expect to have help when I need it. I am after all an older woman and can not begin to manage to take care of all of you as well as my own family. Fourth I try to do things in the traditional ways in everything I do except I make some exceptions for personal hygiene. Finally I will change my mind without notice on most anything that strikes my fancy at the time. Any questions?”

“Will we get a warning before you change your mind?”

“I already like him Wren, he’s funny.”

They all follow Wren’s aunt into the barn and down a short staircase into a basement room. Inside it looks like a fairly modern family room with a projection T.V., a small refrigerator and microwave along the back wall. Just past the refrigerator is another door and inside a small modern office.

“You can leave your modern electronics and such in here where I assure you they will be perfectly safe.”

Wren, having been here several times in the past, is already putting her stuff into her box, and up on a shelf over the door. She chuckles quietly to herself as she watches Norman and her Mother struggle with what they are seeing.

“Now if you will all follow me I’ll lead you to your lodges.”

They all follow her back up and out of the barn then across the bridge. Wren and Painted Buffalo are busy chatting away in a language totally unfamiliar to Norman and Margaret as they head toward two tepees. Painted Buffalo stops beside the smaller of the two and waves Margaret to follow her as she steps through the flap. Margaret follows her in and Wren follows her motioning for Norman to stay outside. Soon Wren and her aunt reemerge and with a few more strange words and a hug they part. Wren motions for Norman to follow her and she leads him to the larger of the two teepees as Painted Buffalo heads to her own large lodge.

They approach the traditional lodge hand in hand and Wren shows Norman how to unbutton the flap and enter. They enter the warm lodge leaving the chill of the South Dakota night behind them. Norman is surprised to see a ring of stones with a fire right in the middle of the teepee. On the other side of the fire is a bed of pelts and hides with two very out of place pillows which Norman notices with a laugh.

“Pillows?”

“She said she did make a few exceptions.”

Norman sets their suitcases down along the edge of the wall as Wren starts removing her clothes. Soon she is sitting beside the fire on a piece of hide, its warmth soaking into her body as she relaxes within its flickering glow. Norman watches her not always knowing what to make of her sometimes strange seeming habits. She appears to be in a calm piece at this time and decides that maybe this time he would try what it is she is doing. Soon without saying a word to her Norman is sitting naked on a piece of hide directly across from Wren. He isn’t sure what to do so he just sits there and watches her. They sit there for quite sometime Wren with her eyes closed unmoving and utterly silent showing no sign of movement save for her slow rhythmic breathing. Norman with his eyes open and quite still slowly falling into her trance with her when he is startled back by one of the logs falling as it settles in the fire. Wren opens her eyes slowly as if she is forcing herself back into her body and relearning how it works. Norman has gotten up and is adding a couple more pieces of wood to the shrinking fire.

“Norman I never would have expected you to be sitting here with me.”

“I was trying to get closer to you by sharing what you care for, but I don’t think I was going about it quite right. What were you doing anyway and how did you know I was sitting here with you?”

“I’ll have to teach you but not tonight it’s getting late and I’m very tired.”

Soon they are in bed, their own bare skin snuggled up in pelts and hides.

As is her custom Wren awakes early the next morning, looking up through the smoke hole she can see stars but not the moon. She knows that with the moon low the day is nearing its start, she stands and stretches then places a couple of pieces of wood upon the fire. Pulling out her old buckskin dress from her luggage and slipping it on she braids her hair into her two traditional plaited braids. With her moccasins on she heads out the door to relieve her aching bladder. The half moon bright in the clear uncluttered sky is indeed low and nearing the horizon. After relieving herself she collects the water jug to take to the well. Looking at the sky she guesses it is near four as looking east the deep purple sky heralding the sunrise yet to come is already forming. She brings the water back to the center of camp walking past a seemingly dark shadow of rock.

“Good morning Aunt.”

“Humph, How did you know I was here?”

“I saw you, it isn’t that dark out. Remember I’m a hunter. I've been trained by some of the best to notice the differences in the world around me.”

“Yes, your training has made you an excellent Predator.”

“What are you driving at?”

“You know that which I speak.”

“I wish you didn’t.”

“How close are you to completion?”

“Five to go, but I really don’t wish to discuss this any further.”

“As you wish, but thank you for confirming my thoughts on the matter. I have been seeing the news reports and I became really curious. Is Norman a hunter?”

“Yes, though he doesn’t get too many chances.”

“Like you since Elizabeth passed on to her next life.”

“Yea, something like that. So what is up with Norman and hunting?”

“I was wondering if you thought he would like to go with Ron to bring in the meat for tomorrow’s festivities.”

“That would be up to him but I don’t think he has ever hunted in the traditional ways before. It might be best if I went instead.”

“No this is a man thing and as such he needs to perform the hunt.”

“I understand, would you like me to ask him?”

“Yes, Ron will be getting up soon and soon after he’ll want to leave for the east acreage.”

“The east acreage? So you intend to bring in a ta tanka for the feast?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll go wake him.”

Wren leaves her aunt and enters her tepee walking over to Norman.

“Norman wake up, I need to ask you something.”

“Good morning Wren, I’m glad you're speaking in a way I can understand, it is fascinating to hear you talking to Painted Buffalo Woman but I honestly can’t make out anything you're saying.”

“Well, since you seem to be wide awake, how would you like to go hunting with uncle Ron?”

“Uncle Ron, an odd name for your family isn’t it?”

“He married in, but how about it?”

“It is expected of me isn’t it?”

“Very perceptive of you, how soon can you be ready?”

“Give me five minutes.”

“Good I’ll tell Painted Buffalo.”

“Well my aunt, he will be out shortly.”

“Good Ron will be right back and they can be going.”

Soon Ron and Norman are seen trotting across the dark plain heading toward the lightening sky. Margaret is soon up with Painted Buffalo and Wren in the barn helping to prepare food for the coming feast. Late in the morning Rose joins them and when the men return with their prize they are all singing and carrying on like old friends. Late in the day before supper Abraham arrives with another surprise.

“Uncle Jacob! Are you the one they got for the ceremony?”

“You better believe it, I couldn’t let just anyone marry my spitfire of a great niece now could I?”

“Uncle this is Norman.”

“Pleased to meet you, I’ve heard some about you from Abe but I’m a might bit interested to talk to you and get to know you a little better.”

“Norman uncle Jacob is a priest so we will be recognized by the church.”

“Good I really wondered how that would eventually be worked out.”

The men set to the heavy work of cleaning and preparing the buffalo for the next day's festivities while the women ready the other foods. It is well into the evening with the sun dipping below the horizon and the cool night air drifting across the plain when the women come out to find the men. They had just got the large roasting spit set into place and slowly turning over the low fire and its bed of coals. Wren and Margaret are carrying a large iron pot full of beans between them followed by Rose and Painted Buffalo with their bowls of corn bread and butter. They all sit around the warmth of the fire eating and talking until late into the night when they all one by one head off to bed.

Wren awakes late, the sky through the smoke hole already the deep purple of early morning. Sitting facing her on the other side of the fire in a full lotus is her naked husband, eyes closed head back as though looking through the smoke hole deep into the sky. She lays propped on her right arm and watches him for sometime before he opens his eyes and looks back at her.

“How long have you been up?”

“A while, you?”

“Couldn’t really sleep so I thought I’d try your idea of relaxation and see if it would help.”

“And did it?”

“I think so, I think I actually drifted off while I sat here because I had the weirdest dreams.”

“Like what?”

“Oh most of it I can’t remember but just pure nonsense.”

“Well, why don’t you lie down and try to get some sleep for a while.”

“What are you up to?”

“Well I probably should relieve whoever is watching the meat then, I should be getting cleaned up for later.”

“Then I should probably be up and helping too.”

“No, it's still very early to you sleepy head, you lie down and get what sleep you can and I’ll wake you once the sun is up to relieve me from watching the meat.”

Wren leaves Norman to sleep and relieves her grandpa from watching the roasting meat. She sits watching the sun climb over the horizon occasionally basting the roasting meat. Several hours later Uncle Ron comes and relieves her and Painted Buffalo leads her and her Mom away from camp and up the stream some distance well out of view of the camp. There next to the stream is a small stool with soap and a towel waiting for her. Wren undresses and slips into the icy water expecting its breath stealing shock, her Mom however lets out quite a shriek. They wash and after drying wrap their towels around themselves, slip on their shoes and head back to camp. Norman is up and waiting with his towel near the entrance to their tepee, he starts toward them as they near and heads up the stream by himself. Wren her Mom and Painted buffalo each slip into their lodges and pick up their bags and then head to the barn. Many hours later they all emerge from the barn and head out across the prairie. There at the very edge of the badlands are the guests for the wedding. People from all parts of the clans are gathered there and as she looks out across the people she makes out some of her Mom’s relatives. There is Uncle Mike and Aunt Daisy, and there is Sean and Devon. It looks like most of her Mom’s family had made it. And there in the front row was a small group that only could have been Norman’s family. Wren climbs out of the hay wagon carefully brushing off any stray pieces of dirt as she awaits her cue to be led around the crowd and up the aisle by her Grandpa. After what seems like an eternity she very clearly makes out the tune “Here comes the bride” played on a set of bagpipes. They start along the back of the crowd turning and heading up the center row between the people. Wren is awestruck when she looks up the aisle at her husband.

There he stands true to his word in a suit that truly did match her dress perfectly. A full dress kilt in the traditional county Mayo green with red, blue and black crossing through its field. To her he looked very brave and dashing in his Prince Charlie.

Grandpa leads her up the aisle to Norman and placing her hand in his turns and goes back to sit beside grandma. Uncle Jacob then begins to speak.

“Dearly beloved we are all gathered here today, some from near and some from very great distances, while a few others have had to travel not only across land but through many personal obstacles to be here to witness these two young people be joined together in holy matrimony.”

At this point in true Lakota fashion he takes out a strip of bright red cloth and ties one of Wren’s wrists to Norman’s then turning them to face each other he wraps a large lone star blanket around the two of them. Turning around again he removes a censer from where it has been hanging on a small iron rack, he charges it with sage then bowing low to the couple before him he starts swinging the censer toward them bathing them in its smoke. Hanging the censer back on its rack he again turns toward them with his arms outstretched.

“Here stands before us two people brought together by Wankan Tanka from different places each on different paths, each with different goals, each incomplete without the other. Now with his blessing and guidance we witness and assist in their union with each other.

Do you Wren Swan Robbins hereby take this man Norman Walter James to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love, honor and obey. In sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer. Forsaking all others for as long as you both shall live?”

“I do.”

“And do you Norman Walter James take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer. Forsaking all others for as long as you both shall live?”

“I do.”

“Then by the power vested in me by the Roman Catholic Church and the state of South Dakota I do hereby pronounce you man and wife.”

Wrists still bound they turn to face the crowd of relatives and well wishers and are promptly greeted with a round of applause. They walk down the aisle back toward the barn where their reception is to take place and behind them they can hear uncle Jacob’s voice addressing the crowd.

“Everyone remember if you want a place to sit for lunch to take your chair with you.”

The feast lasts until late in the evening with Wren learning much more about Norman from his family and Norman learning that as mysterious as he feels his wife to be it is nothing compared to some of her other relatives. They sleep late into the next day and are encouraged to leave for their week-long honeymoon soon after.

Help support Maura's goal of having a workshop with space to work on more writing at MauraAlwyen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

5-7-2024

  Its been a bit so a personal set of updates, a bit of venting, and answering some questions I get asked regularly. How am I doing? This qu...