Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Victim 18 Post 45

CHAPTER 11
THE RUNAWAY

It’s seven in the morning when the alarm goes off and Norman gets out of bed. Wren doesn’t stir as he goes about getting ready he wakes her just enough to say goodbye as he heads off to work. It’s noon before Wren finally wakes on her own. She stumbles through the room and makes her way to the shower. She stays in for a long time as she tries to get the tension of the previous night's events out of her mind and body. After her shower she goes back and lies across the bed drifting back into sleep. She snaps back awake when her phone starts to ring.

“Wren how do you feel?”

“Norman, you called just to ask me that?”

“No actually I called because I was worried about you and I finished going through the papers from Hartwell. Everything is completely in order and I have everything ready for your signature.”

“Good do I need to come over or are you just bringing them with you this evening?”

“I think it best if you came and signed them so I can turn them right around to them.”

“I’ll see you in a little bit then.”

Wren dresses and after checking the fluid levels of her bike heads over to Norman’s office. It is the hottest part of the day when she starts over and though she prefers to ride in the daylight, the ride last night had been considerably cooler. The ninety-eight degree temperature with the high humidity of St. Louis always makes travel by bike an experience in the summer and this day is no exception. Every stop light along the way seems to be red and she feels as though she will be roasted by the time she makes it to his office and she wonders what use it had been to take a shower at all. She parks the bike and heads across the lot and in.

“Hi Wren I guess I won't be seeing you too many more times.”

“I guess not Sheila it’s going to be weird not having you around to remind Norman of important meetings and dates.”

“At least he always remembers your important dates. It’ll be weird for me though not hearing about you all the time. Wren did this, Wren did that although I didn’t know until recently that you had been a model in your early college years.”

“Neither did Norman until recently but it’s good to have some surprises left for him.”

“So a two year dig in Peru in an undiscovered city. The only thing that I don’t understand is how was it missed all this time?”

“They're finding new sites all the time with satellite imaging and the melting of high altitude snow from global warming. It really is a fascinating time to be in archeology. I’m just glad Norman’s alright with it because that accounting gig was really getting boring. I prefer getting down into my work.”

Wren stops herself before she mentions what she really prefers is the fast life of motorcycle racing. Feeling that the events of last night are best not connected with her anymore than necessary.

“You can go in now he’s off the phone.”

She enters Norman’s very familiar office, his law books having the occasional gap and two boxes sitting on the table in the corner containing the missing books. Wren knows what she would find if she were to look. Every book ever written by Tolkien, and every Agatha Christie containing Hercule Poirot. To Wren it suddenly became clear why this expedition would mean anything to Norman; it was itself a historical mystery. The history of Middle Earth fascinated Norman as do the mysteries always solved by a little man with an egg shaped head. Sitting next to the boxes are several new books though and as Norman hasn’t seen her enter the room yet she steps closer to examine them. The history of the Incan empire, The rise and fall of the Maya, The lost city of Machu Pichu, and A Tourists guide to Mayan and Incan hieroglyphics and iconography.

“I see you found my new books.”

“Very different from your usual assortment.”

“I figured it wouldn’t hurt if I knew a little about what we are getting into.”

“A tourist guide though?”

“I said a little didn’t I. I figure it’s at least a beginning even if it is a bit simple.”

“I’ll have to take a look at it and see how far off it is though if the author really is who they say it is it should be very accurate and I may get a quick refresher myself.”

“Well, we’ll see now about this contract. Everything seems in order and he has included a clause providing you the right to leave a shipping container on the property until July fifteenth. He has agreed to pay you three million five hundred thousand dollars in exchange for one hundred fifty acres plus or minus. Look it over and if all seems fine to you we’ll go to the bank around the corner and have you sign it and get it notarized.”

“But didn’t I have you look at it to make sure it was alright?”

“I may be a lawyer but even I make mistakes. That's why there are loopholes in laws and contracts. It’s always better to read the fine print for oneself.”

Wren reads over the contract while Norman digs out another box from behind his desk. She peeks up at him every so often as he busily opens the box. She eventually reaches the end and comes over to see just what it is that has Norman so enthralled.

“This package came in the mail today from your Aunt addressed to me.”

“That looks like one of Uncle Ron’s hand made bows, the beaded quiver and moccasins are definitely Painted Buffalo’s work, the arrows are grandma’s work and the flint knife is grandpa’s work. This is a great gift both for the fact that they sent them to you and for what they’re worth.”

“They also came with this letter. “To our new nephew Dancing Owl, we hope these serve you well. You have proven yourself a provider and a member of the family.” Dancing Owl?”

Wren laughs until tears start running down her cheeks at Norman’s confusion.

“It is now your name within our family—an Indian name. Uncle Ron, and grandpa told me they were very impressed by your hunting skills. Grandpa said you danced from shadow to shadow dodging prairie dog holes and ta tanka chips like an expert and uncle Ron said you were as silent as a Great Horned Owl. Believe me it is not meant to be an insult.”

“It might take some getting used to but I kind of like it, now that it is explained to me. What is your name then?”

“Oh, mine is rather long and came with my vision but shortened down I am, the Speaker of the ancient ones.”

They walk over to the bank and sign the contract, then return to Norman’s office where the courier is waiting to take it back to Hartwell construction. Sheila heads off for the night and Norman locks up the office.

“You know I talked to Margaret earlier and she said she had offered to let us stay in the spare bedroom. I think it might be a good idea instead of staying at the hotel.”

“Why is that?”

“Because there would be far fewer eyes watching you return late at night. The added bonus would be that she has the space for us to stash some of our gear before we take it to the shipping container.”

“So when did you say we would be coming over to stay with her?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Now that that is solved I would like to buy something frivolous to take with us.”

“What’s that?”

“A guitar, applying you don’t mind church hymns and classical music.”

“I never knew you could play.”

“I can play several instruments, actually guitar, piano, and the fiddle. How about you?”

“Cedar flute and the clarinet, unfortunately both were stolen so I have neither.”

“Maybe we could find you a new one while we are out.”

The rest of the evening is spent looking at instruments picking up music and eating dinner. When they get back to the hotel they each have a new instrument to help pass the lonely winter months up on the mountain in there new home. Norman calls the ranch to thank them for the gifts and Wren explains the loss of her home and the new job to her grandparents. They all agree that with the proceeds from the sale of her home she could buy a nice spread in South Dakota after her contract expires if she so desires. After their call they pack up all their stuff to leave tomorrow then head off to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

5-7-2024

  Its been a bit so a personal set of updates, a bit of venting, and answering some questions I get asked regularly. How am I doing? This qu...