Thursday, December 15, 2022

Victim 18 Post 58

“Norman you are incorrigible!”

“What did I do?”

“It isn’t what you’ve done, it's that I know what’s on your mind.”

“So you see, like the Predator I’m opportunistic, after all you’re already naked and your mom told me this morning she wouldn’t be in until eight. So I was thinking.”

“Not always your strong point I might add. Because for your information all I’ve had to eat today is a bowl of mush and a candy bar so, I’m afraid if you want me you’re going to have to buy me dinner first. Then hope I don’t fall asleep on you if you keep me out to late. I’ve worked hard all day, everything had to be removed and repacked in the container and it was so hot I ended up doing it in just my bra and underpants.”

“I knew I should have left work much, much earlier.”

“But then we still wouldn’t be done by now. Would we?”

“Who said I was going to stop you…”

“Or for that matter do more than watch right?”
“Exactly, so what do you want for dinner?”

“The faster and larger the amount the more likely you are to get anything from me.”

“I know just the place. How do you feel about an all you can eat buffet?”

“Now that is exactly what I’m talking about.”

Norman lets her past into the bedroom where she walks straight to the bed and picks up a long narrow box. The label is addressed to her and the return address clearly stating it is from her grandparents. She sits down upon the bed and starts pulling the box open then pulling out a bubble wrapped object that she instantly recognizes. With a letter written in Lakota wrapped around it.


“Dear Wren,

Dancing Owl gave us a call and explained your flute was stolen with the rest of your stuff. He asked how he could find another and here it is. We hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as you did the last one. This one was made from a cedar from deep in the back hills by one of our best flute makers. He was also the one playing at your wedding whenever the bagpipes weren’t. We hope you enjoy it.

Love,

Grandma and Grandpa”

“Norman, you amaze me sometimes.”

She carefully unwraps the instrument from its bubble wrap then slides it out of its elk hide bag, noting it to be longer than her last with a larger barrel and bore. The fetish intricately carved in the shape of a howling wolf with two eagle feathers hanging from its side. It is the deep red of an old cedar closely matching her own hair color and polished to a deep shine. Etchings carved into its sides of many birds and animals of prey. It was obvious to Wren this flute was picked for her especially. Crossing her legs upon the bed she puts the flute to her lips and starts to play. Immediately the soft, deep sounds of the flute fill the room. Norman had never heard her play her old flute and just sits down on the other side of the room from her, closing his eyes and listening. To him the sounds seem to come to him from the depths of interstellar space, from a place where time has no meaning or form. She sits as her ancestors, naked, and playing her prayer to Wankan Tanka, to God himself offering him the song from within her very own soul. It’s sometime before she stops and with great reverence walks over and kisses Norman.

“Thank you.”

She carries it over and props it up over a rag to dry and goes to find her clothes. What she wants to wear is her simple buckskin dress but she feels that would look a little out of place so a clean pair of jeans and a tee shirt will have to do. Once she is dressed she picks up her cell phone from her purse and makes a call. All the sounds are familiar to Norman who quickly realizes it is her grandparents she’s calling as she is speaking in rapid fire Lakota.

“Well, Grandma and Grandpa are happy to have helped you make me happy. And they hope you soon get to use your gifts from them. Thank-you’s done, let's get some food I am starving!”


MauraAlwyen.com for all things Maura and to help get me in a place where I can entertain y'all a bit more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5-7-2024

  Its been a bit so a personal set of updates, a bit of venting, and answering some questions I get asked regularly. How am I doing? This qu...