Tuesday, July 28, 2026

A bit random today 7-28-2026

 
Let me start with I found this orange safety barrel on a walk in Forest Park...I have no idea why it is there but it is directly beside one of the walking/bike trails, hence it made it to a post about random things.
 
The job search persists.  I have had no interest shown from anyone looking for remote workers with my skill set.  Again that blue collar vs white collar divide is where I am laying the blame.  On that note I am very carefully reading Facility Manager, Operations Manager, and Maintenance Manager, job descriptions for red flags and applying for those type of roles.  As of Saturday I had already found several promising ones.
 
On the search issues I have discovered a term used by exactly one place "Organized in white space."  Now if you are like me you are going WTF does that mean??  Apparently it means:
“Organized in white space” means arranging content so there’s intentional empty area (the “white space”) around elements—text, images, buttons, headings—so the layout feels clean and easy to scan.
It usually implies:
  •     clear separation between sections (not everything packed tightly together)
  •     consistent spacing margins/padding
  •     better hierarchy (important items stand out)
  •     improved readability (less visual clutter)
So obviously the writer of the listing has something confused.
 
Can we normalize jobs posting their actual city location?  I was looking at one that says St. Louis, but a quick google map search says it is actually in Cottleville, MO which is 20 miles West of our beltway!  That would be a 40 mile one way commute for me and is NOT a commutable distance; with traffic that's a potential 90 min drive!
 
On the normalize issue: can we get employers to actually post what they expect to pay?  If I see no pay listed I assume they intend to pay $7.25/hr.  If I see $45k to $75k I assume they are only wanting to pay $45k and the $75k is just an incitement--fell for that in my last job.  Now $64k to $76k I can respect as that is a $5.50 an hour range not a $13.76 an hour range.  I saw one that actually posted "We will pay you $26.75 an hour for this job" mad respect for that place!
 
I will admit the job search is a bit on the depressing side, but I still don't regret walking away from where I was. 
 
Overall my son seems to be recovering well from his brain surgery, so thank you for all the prayers for him 😊
 
Buttercup starts 5th grade next week, need I mention she seems underwhelmed?  Hard to believe she will be 11 soon...what happened to that tiny little thing I used to hold while listening to K-pop so she would go to sleep?  No joking, I was the only one who could get her to sleep and yep K-pop was her music of choice, now she is into Taylor Swift (she could have chosen way worse honestly) but still likes K-pop.  I have introduced her to Jerry Reed, Ray Charles, Duke Ellington...like me her taste is eclectic.
 
The state removed the second culvert that had people regularly pulling into my yard so YAY!!  (Yes, I live on a state highway) Sadly, I could not get the culvert pulled that is 75% on my side of the line between my house and the dilapidated house next door.  Apparently that 25% overlap is just enough to make the state say "nope, that causes us nothing but trouble."  Oh well, I tried.

On the subject of the dilapidated house; the flower beds I put in between me and it along the property line are also keeping people out of my yard as I intended, and the wildflower seeds have germinated!
 
At this point I am just waiting for the dilapidated house to fall in or be condemned by the city with a tear-down order.  If I land a job with enough larger salary I may attempt to buy it for what they paid for it a couple of years ago.  If I were to land it I can have the local fire department burn it, then I can push it's remains into it's basement, back fill it, and put a tiny home on the ground for my son.  The big bonus there is it already has all utilities on the site.  He is fine with this by the way.
 
I've been working on several stories again lately, a fantasy that is up to page 63, a dystopian work, and a sci-fi dystopia, plus another short...or is that three shorts?
 
Between job searches (when I get frustrated or just can't stand to look at them) I've been catching up on my housework, organizing things, actually cooking better and not just throw something in the microwave because that's all I can manage after work.
 
I have the beginnings of another burn pile going mostly from sticks and branches that have fallen out in the last few storms.  I also have a bunch of vines, and branches to add to it from the next area that needs cleared near where my shop gets worked on next. So more brush burning videos in the future...as I have said before on those videos I wonder if the process will ever end.
 
A sword is basically just a sharp club. 
 
For now I guess that's it.
Maura out 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bit random today 7-28-2026

  Let me start with I found this orange safety barrel on a walk in Forest Park...I have no idea why it is there but it is direct...