Saturday, October 22, 2022

Victim 18 post 32

Wren leads Norman out to the shooting range and demonstrates how the gun works. She sets up a paper target then attaches a ring with a small cable to the middle finger of her left hand. She flexes her hand backward then levels it out and takes aim. Norman plugs his ears in anticipation as she lowers her hand, only the wavering of the target told Norman the gun had gone off.

“So that’s what a silencer sounds or rather doesn’t sound like.”

“A good one anyway. There are cheaper ones out there but they have too much report and I need absolute stealth.”

“Well I see three things, one just how all the blood got on your clothes, two that there is no way to holster that any better, and three the shoulder holster has to go.”

“Why?”

“It could give someone the advantage of a hand hold on your back or shoulder. I think what you need is a more modern belt type holster with a quick release buckle on the front. That way if anyone gets a hold of the belt all you would have to do is release it.”

“Well that might mean a trip to Springfield.”

“Why Springfield?”

“My cousin Sean runs a sporting goods store over there and deals in illegal arms as well.”

“I wondered where you managed to get your weapons. Well Springfield here we come.”

With some help from Norman Wren changes out of her “superhero suit” and they leave to see Sean. Four hours and a stop at the county court house later find them back at Norman’s office just after lunch. Sheila keeps Wren entertained with wanting to know all about her wedding plans until closing time. There trip home in the light rain that evening proves more eventful though. As Norman is heading down highway two-seventy a truck carrying scrap metal loses part of its load in front of them. Norman swerves hard and avoids the larger pieces but blows out a tire when he hits some of the smaller stuff. They spend some time on the side of the road changing the tire and getting insurance information from the truck driver who isn’t too co-operative until the officer at the scene hands him Norman’s business card. After that everything goes much smoother and they are soon heading on home.

“Norman I would think that by now you would know how to shift gears.”

“I’m pushing in the clutch but it’s not doing anything.”

“Can’t you speed shift?”

“What!?”

“Just pull over when you can and I’ll take it on home before you turn your transmission into spaghetti.”

“You think you can get it to shift?”

“My grandpa Robbins taught me how to shift without a clutch. So I think I can get it home alright.”

They pull off the road and Norman stalls the engine. Wren trades places with him, puts it in neutral and fires it back up.
“I see what you mean. Must have cut the clutch hose when you ran over that debris. Well here we go.”

“How did you do that?”

“It takes practice to take off without a clutch and level ground doesn’t hurt. The trick is stopping without stalling it. It’s kind of the reverse of taking off but still touchy. This thing is still under warranty isn’t it?”

“Yea, why?”

“Then we need to drop it off at the dealer in the morning before you call that guy's insurance, that way you don’t mess up the warranty.”

They make it home with no real trouble and spend the evening figuring out places Wren can apply to for archeological work.

The weather the next morning keeps Wren from going on her normal run so Norman gets to sleep in as Wren sets a late alarm just for him. She lays in bed staring at the man she loves so much and wondering if she should just let the rest of the gang go. But as this thought crosses through her mind she remembers listening to them discuss that poor unknowing mother and the prospect of three children losing their mother makes Wren feel sick with guilt for even thinking of giving up. No, she resolves that she must see this through to its conclusion. She looks back at the sleeping man in her bed and her thoughts become more carnal than caring which only serves to frustrate her more as she can do nothing to relieve her building desires. She resolves herself to ignore her burning desire for Norman and heads to the shower.

She comes back into the bedroom, dresses and is pulling her long hair up into a high ponytail when she sees Norman watching her in the mirror.

“How long have you been watching me?”

“Ever since you came back in from the shower.”

“And you haven’t said a word, that whole time?”

“I just felt like admiring you. You’ve lost weight over the last few weeks, haven’t you?”

“I guess I’ve lost some. Does it show that much?”

“When you're stretched out you look more like you did in the picture of you on the motorcycle. Your face is thinner too but someone would really have to know you to realize that. Wren, I’m worried about you. Are you sure you're not taking on more than you can handle?”

Wren sits down on the bed beside him and looks straight into his eyes.

“No, I’m not sure. I have actually considered giving up but…”

“You're afraid it will all start again.”

“Yea, I’ve got to finish. I’ve only got seven to go and it’s over.

Come on let's go make breakfast. We have a busy day ahead of us.”

“Are you going to be alright?”

“Yea I just have to get my mind off it that’s all.”

After breakfast Wren takes Norman's truck to the Chevrolet dealer on Watson road, and he follows her in her Mustang. The rain soaked road gives her trouble each time she takes off from a light as she tries to keep the tires from spinning. Norman takes care of the paperwork and she finishes driving him into his office.

“So what are you going to do today?”

“I thought I’d go over to the college to get a couple copies of my official transcript and see about getting replacements of my diplomas. I need a few personal items also so I’ll get those while I’m out too. Unless you need the car then I’ll just hang around here for you.”

“No, I’m just worried about you, that's all. If I need a ride I’ll give you a call.”

“I’ll see you at five then lover boy.”

She grabs the back of his neck and kisses him in just such a way that he can guess just what else is bothering her.

Wren returns just before five and takes Norman back home. Their evening passes quickly and to Wren it seems like they're getting back in bed all too soon.

The next morning Wren drops Norman off at work and decides to start looking at wedding dresses. After three attempts in three different shops that don’t have a thing she is looking for but the sales people thought they did. She decides to change tack and try to find some things for after the wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

5-7-2024

  Its been a bit so a personal set of updates, a bit of venting, and answering some questions I get asked regularly. How am I doing? This qu...